This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions, click on the 'Historic Versions' tab above.
Part 1 - Preliminary
2. Authorising provision
3. Previous Council resolutions or directions
(1) The Common Seal Regulations 2013 is revoked.
(2) This Regulation does not limit the operation of section 7 of the Victoria University Act 2010 or Division 4 of Part 11 of the Governance, Academic and Student Affairs Statute 2013.
This Regulation comes into operation on the date that it is sealed.
Part 2 - Use of the Common Seal
5. Custody of the common seal
The common seal must be kept in the custody of the Vice-Chancellor, or such other person authorised by the Vice-Chancellor, unless otherwise directed by the Council.
Section 7 of the Victoria University Act 2010
provides that the common seal must be kept and used as directed by the Council or in any other manner authorised by university statute or university regulation.
6. Use of the common seal on Testamurs
The common seal can only be affixed to a testamur by a person authorised by -
- the Chancellor;
- the Vice-Chancellor;
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor; or
- the Provost
7. Register of use of the common seal
The register of documents to which the common seal has been affixed must be kept in the custody of the Vice-Chancellor, or such other person authorised by the Vice-Chancellor, unless otherwise directed by the Council.
8. Deeds executed without use of the common seal
The register of documents to which the common seal has been affixed is not to include details of documents executed as deeds without the use of the common seal.
9. Additional persons who may attest to the fixing of the common seal
- the Chief Operating Officer
- the Provost
- a Pro-Vice Chancellor;
- a Vice-President;
- a Senior Lawyer
10. Documents to which the common seal may be affixed
11. Sealing clause for a testamur
Testamurs must be sealed with the words:
"Given under the seal of Victoria University, Australia."
The affixing of the common seal on testamurs must be authenticated by the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor.
12. Sealing clause for documents other than testamurs
Except when a document is a testamur, or is executed as a deed without the use of the common seal, the following sealing clause is the preferred wording:
THE COMMON SEAL of VICTORIA )
UNIVERSITY was affixed to this )
document at the direction of the )
in the presence of )
[Authorised person] [Authorised person]
*Insert the position of the directing person who must be authorised to attest to the affixing of the common seal.